It's clear there is an appetite for CBA negotiation news to end the NHL lockout -- a nice sign, that shows people are eager for some NHL hockey. Consider this a fresh thread and update to our latest lockout stream.
- No, an agreement has not been reached.
- No, the NHLPA did not file to disclaim interest last night, but they are wisely keeping the option open. Why wise? Because it's really the only season-imploding hammer they have, and despite the league's protests that it doesn't matter, the NHL doesn't want them to use it ... PLUG ALERT: I wrote more about that here).
- Yes, teams are preparing to start training camp by late next week -- but that's because it's obviously then or never.
- If they started Jan. 19? Supposedly most teams would be in action, with a schedule chock-full of rivalry games.
- What's holding up a deal? Transition rules, for one, as a drop to a $60 million cap in 2013-14 would put the squeeze on several teams.
- Anything else interesting? Latest reports have not one but two compliance (i.e. non-cap, but part of player's HRR share) buyouts per team allowed before 2013-14.
- And would a shortened season increase the Islanders chances? As Chris writes, not at 48 games, though it might make the season feel more competitive due to the numbers and margins we're used to.
Meanwhile, want a lockout meme? DregerFace was the big thing last night, and here are the many Photoshops that ran with it.
Guardedly excited? Excited with a tinge of guilt for liking the abusive partner who has treated you like crap for months and is ready to take your money again? Yeah, me too.
Bookmark/Search this post with: